Regular Classroom/ Lab Activities:
● We believe in using innovative teaching learning strategies and collaborative learning methods like Jigsaw, Reaction sheets, Poster presentations, making mind maps to name a few.
● Practical sessions also are conducted innovatively such that skills are enhanced and critical thinking and analytical reasoning abilities of the students are honed. Such activities also foster abilities like team work, responsible behaviour.
The Microbiology department organises
• Microbes, an annual intercollegiate event wherein undergraduate students of SYBSc present their research projects on microorganisms isolated and studied from different natural environments. The best presenting team is awarded a prize. Along with the research project presentation, several other competitions based on oratory and creative skills are also organised by the students.
• Talks, webinars and Public lectures by eminent scientists and professionals under the aegis of RUIA Microbiology Society. Dr. Avinash Shenoy, Imperial College, London; Dr. Yogesh Shouche, NCCS; Dr. Rupa Murthy, Latifa Hospital, Dubai; Dr. Abhishek Chakraborty, Cleveland Clinic’s Lerner College of Medicine, Ohio; Dr. Avinash Sharma, NCCS are some of the many reputed speakers who have guided our students.
• Workshops on contemporary and emerging areas to equip our students with relevant lab and professional skills. Some of the topics covered in workshops conducted so far include- Foldscope, Lab on paper and portable culture devices, Enzymology, Electrophoretic techniques, Modern approaches to detect biological agents, Nanotechnology.
• Visits to research institutes like NCCS, ICAR, INST, ACTREC and industries like Verka Dairy, Gowardhan Dairy and Sula wines
• Lab Meets for interactions and review of research projects of PG students.
• Vyakhya, a training program for entrances and interviews for PG studies.
• Training programs for developing professional and soft skills.